<< Documentary and Series Producer's Guide
While they are not necessarily deal breakers, these "red flags" are indicators of significant problems or issues in proposals that must be resolved before agencies will support them.
NIFC External Affairs staff looks for "red flags" in proposals, including:
- 'Embedding' production personnel on firefighting crews.
- Filming fire personnel when they are off duty.
- Treatments in which the elements of drama overshadow factual information.
- Proposals which seek to focus on a few "characters" on a crew.
- Treatments that distort or inaccurately present firefighters' true roles.
- Technical demands beyond what agencies can accommodate.
- Proposals with overly risky elements or expectations.
- Proposals with no tangible benefit to the government.
- Grossly unrealistic time schedules.
In addition, NIFC tends to avoid proposals for lengthy television series, because hosting units and agencies usually can't commit to open-ended and on-going projects.