Fuels and Fire Behavior Advisory Protocols
Below are the protocols to be used when issuing Fuels and Fire Behavior Advisories in order to address the risks to firefighter or public safety resulting from abnormal fuels and/or fire behavior.
- NICC Predictive Services will continue to maintain and manage a national map to display areas affected by Fuels and Fire Behavior Advisories with links to advisory messages developed by local units and Geographic Area Predictive Service Units.
When a situation arises that warrants an Advisory:
- Determine area of extent by coordinating with adjacent jurisdictions and identifying the full extent of the area that could possibly be affected by the observed conditions.
- If local area only (single agency unit), local area should issue advisory (Use of Standard Template strongly recommended). No other GACC action needed.
- Any advisory utilizing the standard template must adhere to all of its guidelines and include all of its sections. Any advisory not utilizing the Standard Template will not be posted on the national map.
- If the Advisory utilizes the standard template the 14 day refresh period will apply.
- If larger than local agency scale (multiple units, counties, or significant portion of geographic area):
- Involve Geographic Area Predictive Service Unit Staff to get their input and feedback.
- Discuss message on 09:30 Coordinators call and 12:30 Predictive Services call to determine if other GACCs are facing same issue.
- Review and tailor message for content, accuracy, suitability and distribution (Predictive Service staffs at Geographic and/or National levels, as appropriate, will coordinate to ensure message is appropriate for entire area of concern).
- Advisories of this scale must utilize the standard template and adhere to all of its guidelines and include all of its sections.
- Each Advisory will be required to be refreshed every 14 days or be removed following this period
- Include a detailed map of the affected area.
- Forward the advisory on the standard template form and the map of the affected are to the Geographic Area Predictive Service Units, who will in turn forward the documents to the National Predictive Services Unit for posting and coordination.
- Use standard template.
- Post Fuels and Fire Behavior Advisories on the Predictive Services Fuels and Fire Danger Web page.
- NICC will post to a national map and monitor advisories for currency.
- It is recommended that urls and email messages posted or sent out by the GACCs informing users about the advisory contain a link to the NICC Fuels/Fire Behavior web page and national map in order to inform users about other fuels and fire behavior advisories that are posted across the country.
- GACC webpages can include “thumbnails” of national map.
Specific requirements of the advisory and its content can be found on the standard template.