The management of wildland fire is interagency and interdepartmental. Policy, standards, and guidance is provided by the Department of the Interior (DOI), which manages the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), which manages the U.S. Forest Service.
Visit DOI Wildland Fire Policy to find DOI Secretarial Orders and Policy Memoranda from the Office of Wildland Fire (OWF) or visit Recent Laws and Policies. The U.S. Forest Service Wildland Fire website has additional resources and information for wildland fire professionals.
The DOI and USDA operate under the National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy, which is authorized by the Federal Land Assistance, Management and Enhancement Act of 2009 (FLAME Act). This is a cooperative effort of DOI, USDA, their land management agencies, and their partners.
Given that management of wildland fire is interagency, there are many sources of guidance and regulations concerning wildland fire professionals. To ensure cohesiveness of standards, policies, and guidance for wildland fire management, the federal land management agencies work with the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG). Agency personnel partner with states and other groups to form NWCG committees which set national standards in their respective fields. Explore the committee pages for more information on standards, policy, and guidance in each subject matter.
The following links can help you find the latest resources and guidance concerning wildland fire management.
Reports and Investigations - Accident Investigation Resources
- Accident Investigation Guide, US Forest Service
- Interagency Serious Accident Investigation Guide
- Serious Accident Investigation Factual Report Template
- Management Evaluation Report Template
- Reviews and Investigations Search a database to find historical documents from wildland fire incidents. The available documents include 24 and 72 hour reports, factual accident investigation reports, escaped prescribed fire reviews, trend analyses and more.
- USFA Firefighter Autopsy Protocol
- Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center
- Annual Incident Review Summaries
- Searchable database of NWCG publications
- DOI Office of Wildland Fire publications
- EPA Wildland Fire Publications, Fact Sheets, and other resources
- Interagency Standards for Fire and Aviation Operations
- Standards for Interagency Hotshot Crew Operations
- USFS and interagency fire publications
- USGS wildland fire science publications